- Full Time
- Richmond, VA, US
Website U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Ophthalmology Technicians in the Veterans Health Administration (VHA) support Ophthalmologists in diagnosis, treatment, prevention, follow-up care and patient counseling. At the Advanced Level, Health Technician (Ophthalmology) performs difficult ophthalmic technical duties with considerable latitude for the exercise of independent judgment.
- Performs A-scan ultrasonography, including intra-ocular lens calculations, using immersion A-scan on eyes with complex pathology such as corneal scarring, irregular and/or high astigmatism, zonular weakness, high refractive error that requires multiple alternative calculating formulas.
- Performs anterior segment OCT, confocal microscopy, electroretinography, electrooculography, and visual evoked potential.
- Performs fluorescein or indocyanine green (ICG) angiography, with diagnostic photography of retinal vessels.
- Performs slit lamp photography.
- Performs B-scan ultrasonography to identify intraocular masses or abnormalities.
- Performs advanced color vision testing of the entire visual spectrum to detect complex color vision defects such as monochromes, dichromate and anomalous trichromats.
- Assists in minor clinical surgical procedures, including laser surgery and intravitreal injections.
- Measures eyeglass prescriptions using manual lens meter, recording sphere, cylinder, axis and prism in both plus and minus cylinder.
- Determines the corneal curvature by either manual keratometry or automated topography.
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job.
- All applicants tentatively selected for VA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with VA.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- You may be required to serve a probationary period.
- Subject to background/security investigation.
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination.
- Participation in the seasonal influenza vaccination program is a requirement for all Department of Veterans Affairs Health Care Personnel (HCP).
Qualification & Experience:
- One year of experience in a health care field, such as but not limited to nursing, medical assistant, or health technician.
- Two years above high school with a minimum of six semester hours directly related to a health care field or associate’s degree in a health care related degree.
- Equivalent combinations of experience and education are qualifying.
Company: U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Others
Job Location: Richmond, VA, US
Application Deadline: N/A